Antivirus or anti-virus software or sometimes known as anti-malware software or set of programs that are designed to prevent, search for, detect, and remove software viruses, and other malicious software like worms, , rootkits, backdoors, hijackers, keyloggers, spyware trojans, adware, and more.
Therefore you must always be sure you have the best, up-to-date security software installed to protect your computers, laptops, tablets and smartphones.
Antivirus software was originally developed to detect and remove computer viruses. A computer without anti-virus software installed will be infected within minutes of connecting to the internet. The bombardment is constant, with anti-virus companies update their detection tools constantly to deal with the more than 60,000 new pieces of malware created daily.
There are several anti-virus software they all perform some basic functions such as;
- Scan specific files or directories for any malware or known malicious patterns
- Allow you to schedule scans to automatically run for you
- Allow you to initiate a scan of a specific file or of your computer, or of a CD or flash drive at any time.
- Remove any malicious code detected –sometimes you will be notified of an infection and asked if you want to clean the file, other programs will automatically do this behind the scenes.
- Show you the ‘health’ of your computer.
Here are some antivirus software which would prevent viruses invading your home computer.